Our client has been a manufacturer of diesel engines and power solutions for over 85 years, to the highest levels of performance and reliability. They have grown to become one of the leading suppliers of diesel and gas engines in the power solutions market.
Due to continued growth they are seeking an experienced Supplier Quality / Collaboration Engineer to join the team in Peterborough on a contracting basis
The position of Supplier Collaboration Engineer will be the leader and key communicator for various Collaborative Product and Process Development teams to interface with Suppliers and Procurement to ensure early supplier collaboration on design for manufacturability, assembly and costs as well as adherence to APQP guidelines. The Position leads Cost Modelling activities that support the setting of Target Costs and managing product cost to achieve target while optimizing value.
* A focus of this position is the development of detailed component cost models and high-level cost estimates in both the NPI and Current product arena. This position will also provide cost reports as necessary to support the assigned project and programs.
* This role is accountable to meet product cost, quality and time targets in the product- life cycle including NPI through supplier collaboration at a part number level for their respective components, systems and/or categories (specify total cost management to include Ex- works, packaging & logistics).
* The position will lead a cross functional team in trade off discussions to balance performance, quality, velocity, and cost that provides work direction to Cost Modelers to develop detail process-based cost models. The Incumbent is responsible to lead cross-functional teams (employees from quality, service, design, manufacturing, etc).
* The goal for this position is to lead the team through identifying cost opportunities, identifying requirements of a part(s) for each area and ultimately leading the team to meet their individual area requirements within the cost target. Leading these discussions and projects will be difficult in nature due to the multiple "trade-offs" (negotiations / compromises) each area will need to make to achieve the quality and cost goals. Completed cost models and expert guidance will be used to identify cost reduction opportunities for subsequent delivery through the Strategic Cost Management, Purchase or NPI teams in the form of negotiation, resource or design change.
* This position is a proactive and ensures the effective management of product cost. Through these cost model projects, the organization will begin to have confidence in costs. This position identifies part opportunities and leads internal and external cross functional groups through cost opportunity discussions while maintaining a balance with performance, quality, and cost. Cost models account for all cost's drivers associated with the manufacture and supply of a component. The creation of the model will require the use of dedicated software and the application of existing manufacturing, engineering and product knowledge supplemented by research into appropriate manufacturing methods as required.
* This position identifies who is needed on each project and makes team member recommendation. Development of excellent working relationships, teamwork and project management across departmental boundaries (engineering, purchase, logistics, product management etc) is essential to ensure effective collaboration and saving delivery.
* The position provides leadership and is the key communicator for Collaborative Product and Process Development.
* The incumbent directs teams to interface with Suppliers and Purchasing to ensure early collaboration on design for Manufacturability, Assembly and Cost, as well as, adherence to APQP guidelines.
* The position will ensure the development, analysis, and documentation of cost information for new product development, design and cost improvement, maintenance, make versus buy, and other special projects. The Incumbent establishes Target Costs and manages product cost to target. The position provides leadership that ensures trade off discussions early in the design process to balance performance, quality, velocity and cost with focus on optimizing value.
* Typical internal customers include a Department or Business/Service Unit in a Division. The position's primary customers are internal. The position is challenged to carefully evaluate problems and review a large number of possible solutions before selecting one option. Problems may be moderately complex and can require the incumbent to develop solutions.
* Individuals working in this role will be deemed manufacturing, process and cost experts by other areas of the business and will be called upon to provide 'cost' expertise as the norm.
* Requires a bachelor's degree in an accredited Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum plus years of experience or a Master's degree in an Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum.
* The position requires an engineering, manufacturing, or commercial background with a high level of product knowledge.
* Good level of knowledge of a specific manufacturing process or engineering discipline, or maintenance process, as applicable, is required.
* Good level of understanding of company policies and procedures related to manufacturing, engineering and/or maintenance are also required.
* This individual needs to have a good level of understanding and knowledge of manufacturing processes.